Now that we have officially entered Christmas month (can somebody tell us how TF we are in December already? 🥲), we are well and truly feeling the heat here in Melbourne and we're ready to make some changes to our skincare routine to adapt to the warmer weather. Now we're not talking about serious changes here because that may or may not shock our precious skin barrier, and that is the last thing we want going into wedding/holiday/party szn! Just a few little tweaks will do. Although our winter skincare products have served us well in the past few months, it's time to say goodbye to some for now and welcome some newbies to get ready for a hot girl summa!
Here are some of our recommendations when changing up your skincare routine during a seasonal transition:
1. Opt for a more lightweight moisturiser
Of course - all year round, 365 days a year, twice a day, you NEED to be wearing a moisturiser. You'll find that as we approach the warmer months, your skin starts to say "no thnx" to heavy, rich and occlusive creams/oils (although these were most divine in winter), and "YES PLS" to more hydrating, lightweight and cooling gel creams/lotions. An increase in heat and humidity in summer means an increase in amount of sweat your body produces and this does not mix well with heavy creams and oils - you're literally asking for your pores to be clogged more frequently and therefore break out more often! A more lightweight moisturiser such as a gel cream will not feel as heavy on your skin but will still give you enough hydration throughout the day. You can start to put away your Cera Ve Moisturising Cream and replace her with Dr. Jart's Cicapair Calming Gel Cream.
This is the new kid on the block and she's been quite the popular one too. Formulated with Centella Rx, it soothes and protects sensitive skin while Cicabond helps repair dry skin resulting from external stressors. Not to mention she feels AH-MA-ZING - ultra-lightweight and cooling to the touch.
We love a good product that can do it all, especially for us lazy guys and gals. Especially now that we've come out of hiding from lockdown and have our calendars filed up for the rest of summer, time is absolutely precious. Cue multifunctional products to save the day (and time ofc)! Where you can, look for products that contain most of your favourite ingredients - these usually come in the form of essences or serums as these mediums are perfect for packing in multiple skincare actives to feed your skin. Not only will you cut down on the number of products that you apply on your skin, but you'll also save some shelfie space, cash monies, and most importantly - your time!! Our favourite do-it-all products right now have to be:
Herbal Dynamics Beauty Youth Refresh Prickly Pear Antioxidant Daily Moisturiser
- Hyaluronic Acid and Prickly Pear work in harmony to deliver intense hydration to the skin
- Vitamin C is a potent antioxidant that protects the skin from UV damage, reducing pigmentation and signs of premature aging, and promoting more radiant skin
- Watermelon Extract helps protect the cells against damaging free radicals, heat & UV rays and dehydration whilst quenching the skin to boost a glowy complexion
- Contains an olive-based cleansing agent that thoroughly removes excess oil, dirt and impurities
- 10% AHA (glycolic acid) removes dead skin cells, leaving skin radiant, smooth and fresh
- Lemon and Grapefruit Oils are antiseptic, astringent and detoxifying. The citric acid and vitamin C present in these citrus oils protect the skin from premature aging by fighting free radical damages.
- Rosehip Seed Oil reduces the appearance of scarring, hyperpigmentation and reveal an overall even complexion by brightening the skin thanks to the rich presence of vitamin C. The vitamin A (retinol) in the oil nourishes the skin to prevent lines, wrinkles and other signs of aging whilst the essential fatty acids stimulate over skin health and elasticity.
We believe every single skin type needs hydration, but when summer rolls around, we say more is more! Keep yourself hydrated from the inside out. Not only do you need to be keeping your skin barrier hydrated topically via skincare goodies, but also ensuring that you're drinking plenty of water simultaneously to ensure that you can achieve the most supple, glowy and bouncy looking complexion you can get! Not having ample hydration means dry, tight, flaky skin that is more prone to aging. And who in the world would want that?!
Earth Harbor's Cloudburst is a gel hydrator that drenches your skin in long-lasting moisture and clarifying botanicals that optimally prep skin’s microbiome for the day ahead. It starts off as a gel but bursts into a beautiful liquid essence once you apply it to your skin. It absorbs instantly and leaves you with a natural finish and preps your skin for any following skincare products.
Herbal Dynamics Beauty's Clean & Calm Cucumber Cooling Eye Cream contains ingredients that make us all giddy and warm on the inside. She contains 4 types of peptides, hyaluronic acid, squalane and cucumber extract. Not only does she smell like a perfect summer's day, she feels sublime on the skin. Your under eyes will feel more vibrant, soothed, energised and plump!